Passive checks, freshness and notification.

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri Oct 3 10:54:53 CEST 2003

> I had check_period as none because I only wanted to use passive checks.
> Is
> this wrong?
>
> I had "register 0" in the template, is this the same as "register no".

> Using 0 seemed to follow the examples, in fact I had
> "active_check_enabled 0" rather than using "no" but changed this when I
> googled and found an example.
>
> Jim
>

> define service{
>         name                            my-service
>         active_checks_enabled           no
>         passive_checks_enabled          1
>         parallelize_check               1
>         obsess_over_service             1
>         check_freshness                 1
>         freshness_threshold             86400
>         notifications_enabled           1
>         event_handler_enabled           1
>         flap_detection_enabled          1
>         process_perf_data               1
>         retain_status_information       1
>         retain_nonstatus_information    1
>         register                        0
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    none
>         max_check_attempts              1
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  some-group
>         notification_interval           120
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            w,c,r
>
>       }

Thanks Alexis, but I'm not sure what you meant by this (checking in a
working period) as this only applies to active checks according to the
documentation.

I have now set check_freshness to 0, but I've also altered is_volatile to 1.
I think this may be better as although I am expecting the passive checks to
be of an ok, critical, ok, critical type pattern it is possible this is not
the case (I'm not using SNMP traps to generate the passive checks but syslog
messages which are still UDP so I cannot guarantee they will get to the
nagios server).

I will look at making the freshness check work as this is actually what I
want. If a passive check gets lost somewhere on the network I want to
"reset" the status of the service.

Jim