How can Nagios interact with NT Event Logs?

David Clack david at clack.org.uk
Thu Oct 2 21:25:22 CEST 2003

Hello,
 This was asked a while ago, should be something in the archives of
help.
I replied then but I monitor Windows Events logs a different way now (
thanks mainly to suggestions from this list ) so I'll reply again.

The way I do it is use a product called snare
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/snare/) on the servers to send event
logs in real time to a syslog server, also my nagios box.
I then use syslog-ng to filter the logs into folders like
/var/log/remote-host/fileserver/Events.log, and have simple perl scripts
to parse them for particular errors/reports.
I have one script that basically returns a warning if there's errors in
the system log in the past 24 hours & others to look for specific
events, like arcserve back up failure etc..
There's a plugin called check_log.pl or something similar that may be of
use that comes with nagios.

Hope that's of help!

Dave.