Running nagios as root

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Oct 1 20:43:11 CEST 2003

Being owned by user and group nagios isn't sufficient. The programs must
be owned _and_ executed as the root user to be able to make the
appropriate ICMP requests. Note the addition of the sticky bit ('s') in
the permissions below and the ownership by root. The +rx permissions for
the 'other' group make the programs executable by nagios and the sticky
bit guarantees that that it is executed as the owner of the program, in
this case root.

--
Marc