Nagios loosing head (plugin timeout or other strange behavior)

Francois JEANMOUGIN Francois.JEANMOUGIN at 123multimedia.com
Thu Nov 27 08:24:06 CET 2003

> From : Samba [mailto:Samba at guidemail.com]

> If that's not it make sure you don't have more than one nagios process
> running.  I've heard of strange things happening when more than one
> Nagios
> instance was running.
>
> Give it a try and let me know,
     |-2*[nagios(nagios)]
     |-nagios(nagios)---check_nrpe
     |-nagios(nagios)---check_dns---nslookup---nslookup---3*[nslookup]
     |-nagios(nagios)---apan.sh---check_unix_load
     |-2*[nagios(nagios)---apan.sh---apan.sh-+-apan.sh]
     |                                       `-cut]

You're right! For a reason or another, doing a nagios restart sometimes fails. I encountered the same problem with most multithreaded applications (tomcat, mostly). I added a 'sleep 10' between '$0 stop ; $0 start' in the init.d/nagios script and will let you know if it solves at least one of my problem...

Thank you,

François.