check_oracle plugin parameters are unclear for me

Alexey Korobkin 4job at mail.ru
Wed Nov 26 12:04:20 CET 2003

Dear All,

I'm trying to run check_oracle at HP-UX 11.0 with Oracle 8.0.0.4.4.1
Plugin works well with parameters --tns and --login,
but fails with --cache and --tablespace, because i do not understand what
are the parameters it requires.

When i type
what is the <inst> parameter?
For every value i provide it returns with:
"CRITICAL - ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name"

I'm not familiar with Oracle. Some manuals say the service name is inside
the tnsnames.ora file, but i can't see it.
File tnsnames.ora is:
=========Beginning of the tnsnames.ora==============
extproc_connection_data =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = <oracle_sid>))
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = extproc))
  )

<oracle_sid> =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host= spdm)(Port= 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = <oracle_sid>))
  )
=========The end of the tnsnames.ora================

Where should I look for those service names?
Couls you please provide me with some examples of --cache and --tablespace
parameters usage?

TIA.
--
With best regards, Alexey Korobkin.