3 T1s one router

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Nov 25 22:58:59 CET 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Simpson, Doug wrote:

> We have three T1s bundled into one router here at my site and terminating at
> one router at the telcom.  I want to monitor all 3 IPs on each router.
> How do I setup a host to have multiple IPs?
> Do I just add multiple IPs like I have done down below?
>
> # 'T1 router' host definition
> define host{
>         use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
> template to use
>

>         host_name               T1 router
>         alias                   T1 Router
>         address                 172.16.1.3, 172.16.1.2, 172.16.1.1
>         parents                 BHS1
>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         max_check_attempts      10
>         notification_interval   120
>         notification_period     24x7
>         notification_options    d,u,r
>         }

If Nagios is on the LAN side of the router - declare the router as a host
with a single IP (LAN IP)

Since each of the T1s can independently go down or up, check them
individually with check_ifoperstatus (needs SNMP) or check all interfaces
that have been defined to being administrative UP via check_ifstatus
(needs SNMP).

I would not use the above template as it does not contain the "closest" ip
address from Nagios to the router.

--

-sg