Newbie questions - setup

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Tue Nov 25 16:44:12 CET 2003

Yes.

> - Is check-host-alive similar to just check_ping (could it be a
> performance benefit since only 1 packet is sent?)

check-host-alive calls check_ping and only sends one ping packet. Since
all other checks and processes stop while a host is being checked (and
rechecked until it is in HARD state), it's in your best interest to have
the host check complete as quickly as possible, hence the single ping.

> - Similar to above, is there a huge network burden sending all these
pings
> and tests?  I have about a 30 node machine, some going remote
> over 1/2 T-1

It should be minimal. For example, I have a collector polling 353
services on 292 hosts (host checks disabled as in your first question)
This collector is running nagios, smokeing and cricket all at 5 minute
intervals. The average utilization is about 11 Kbits/sec out and 14
Kbits/sec in for all 3 systems combined.

> - Finally, anyone experience any issue with check_ntp?  Seems that
after I
> run it a day the ntp service fails, otherwise it would stay up
> indefinately.

Someone else...?

=-=
Marc