Another reason for undetermined time (not the reason in FAQ)

JeremyRobert.Smith at med.va.gov JeremyRobert.Smith at med.va.gov
Tue Nov 25 00:44:45 CET 2003

Hi all,

    Been struggling with the availability reports after reading the FAQ
entry and realized that I was _not_ having the problem in the FAQ...For the
life of me I couldn't get any availability information.  I would get either
100% undetermined or 100% up depending on what I set the first assumed state
to.  I figured there was something more wrong because in addition to this I
basically had NO historical information at all in the event log, alert
history, etc.

    Well, it turns out my problem was that the CGI seems to be looking for
at my var/nagios.log in my nagios home directory, but I had changed the
log_file directive in nagios.cfg to point to /var/log/nagios.log.  The CGIs
either didn't seem to look there, because they only thing they were
displaying in, for instance, the alert history, was the startup/shutdowns
that were written not from nagios itself but from the /etc/init.d/nagios
script.

   I think it might be well worth adding to that FAQ entry this other
possibility.  I've searched the archives and I've seen several people report
a similar problem and I wonder if those people weren't having the same
problem.

Thanks
Jer Smith
Anagnosis Consulting