Can't setup authorization for web interface

Anthony Gunia aggunia at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 08:15:40 CET 2003

Hi all,

I'm a newbie with Nagios.  I just read the O'Reilly docs on setting up
Nagios, and have it running.  However, I'm having a problem accessing Nagios
via a web browser at this point...I get the following:

"You don't have permission to access /nagios/ on this server."

I'm running Nagios on Red Hat 7.3/Apache 1.3.27.  I found the following on
the listserv from Sebastian, and applied his recommendations, but it still
does not work:

"httpd.conf
 ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
 Alias /nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
 <Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
 Options None
 AuthName "NAGIOS ACCESS"
 AuthType Basic
 AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
 require valid-user
 </Directory>

 now set up a user like this:
 htpasswd -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users -s username
 this invokes the htpasswd programm and (-c) creates a new password file
 where the password for user 'username' is stored as a (-s) SHA1 Hash
 for a second user, just call htpasswd without the -c flag :)

 and don't create a htaccess file, since users might be able to look into
 that file ...
 this should work smoothly ;)"

Any thought out there would be appreciated on getting the web access to
work.  Thanks!

Anthony
aggunia at comcast.net