passive check configuration problems

Peter Hicks petong at jah.net
Fri Nov 21 22:11:18 CET 2003

Hi list,

I am having some trouble getting passive alerts working properly. My
setup consists of lrrd sending notifications to nsca daemon. This part
works correctly. Originally I would see the alert come through the
nagios log, but would not receive a notification. I now receive a
notification, but it does not contain the proper information. (see
below). Could someone point out what I have incorrectly set up in my
service configuration? (also below) I am looking to have the alerts
return the proper status information, and I am curious as to why nagios
reports that the service can not be found.

Thanks for the help.

------------------------
This is from daemon.log:
Nov 21 12:56:05 zero nsca[16130]: SERVICE CHECK -> Host Name:
'xxx.xxxxx.xxx', Service Description: 'qmail_mailq: mails', Return
Code: '1', Output: 'Value is 746.92. Warning range (:700) exceeded'

------------------------
This is from nagios.log:
[1069447865] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;xxx.xxxxx.xxx;qmail_mailq: mails;1;Value
is 743.03. Warning range (:700) exceeded

[1069447875] Warning:  Message queue contained results for service
'qmail_mailq: mails' on host 'xxx.xxxxx.xxx'.  The service could not
be found!

[1069447925] Warning: The results of service 'qmail-mailq: mails' on
host 'xxx.xxxxx.xxx' are stale by 45 seconds (threshold=315 seconds).
I'm forcing an immediate check of the service.
[1069447935] SERVICE ALERT: xxx.xxxxx.xxx;qmail-mailq:
mails;UNKNOWN;HARD;1;Incorrect number of arguments supplied

------------------------
Notification email:
Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: qmail-mailq: mails
Host: xxx
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
State: UNKNOWN

Date/Time: Fri Nov 21 12:52:15 PST 2003

Additional Info:

Incorrect number of arguments supplied

------------------------
Service.cfg excerpt:
define service{
        host_name                       xxx.xxxxx.xxx
        service_description             qmail-mailq: mails
        parallelize_check               0
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 1
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          0
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       0
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        active_checks_enabled           0
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        is_volatile                     1
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  test
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   passive_mailq!
        }

and finally, my checkcommands.cfg:
define command{
        command_name passive_mailq
        command_line    $USER1$/check_dummy $ARG1$ $ARG2$
        }