Another resources problem

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Thu Nov 20 20:26:39 CET 2003

I've posted about this one before, but as yet haven't found a solution.  I
thought I'd bring it up again in case anyone has figured out a way around it.
There seems to be a breakdown in handling of user-defined resources as service
command arguments.

I have a pair of resources defined for a database user and password in my
resources.cfg file:

# mysql root user
$USER5$=root
$USER6$=passwordhere

I then use those resources in a service definition:

# MySQL Service
define service {
    use                 templateServiceGeneric
    host_name           sql.host.domain
    service_description MySQL
    check_command       check_mysql!$USER5$!$USER6$
    contact_groups      sysadmins
}

And my check command is defined like so:

define command {
    command_name    check_mysql
    command_line    $USER1$/check_mysql -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ARG1$ -p $ARG2$
}

Now, by the time $USER5$ and $USER6$ get to the command execution, they have
simply become "$", instead of "root" and "passwordhere".

If I change the command definition to refer to $USER5$ and $USER6$ instead of
$ARG1$ and $ARG2$, it works.  From this, it would appear that user-defined
resources cannot be used as arguments in a service definition.  According to
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/macros.html, user-defined macros are
supposed to be able to be used in service check definitions, but this does not
appear to be the case.  Can anyone else reproduce this bug?

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110