Error Starting Nagios 1.1 on RH 9

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Nov 19 18:38:28 CET 2003

Ah. I've got it. Referencing your earlier email with the compile flags I
see that you used '--with-default-objects'. That's where your problem
lies. Hold on, this might get confusing --

Nagios came from Netsaint. Netsaint used single line command, host and
service definitions ala --

command[check-host-alive]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -w 1000.0,80% -c 2000.0,100%

Then came templates. Templates are great and very useful but they were
new so they were not the default. As Nagios evolved, templating became
the preferred method of defining objects within Nagios because of its
power and so became the configure-time default (even though the old
method was called 'default' by default.)

Long story short, remove the --with-default-objects from your configure
line, recompile and you should be good to go to use your template based
config files.

--
Marc

All
> config file locations are correct as well.
>
> I removed all comments and blank lines from checkcommands.cfg so that
> the first entry is on line 1. I get the same error as before, just now
> it says "Line 1 (Could not...."
>
> Here is that entry:
> define command{
>         command_name    check_tcp
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_tcp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p $ARG1$
>         }
>
> I am at a standstill. I have poured over each config file line by line
> and do not set any problems.
>
> Thanks for any help
> CC

/dev/null