Hosts.cfg question, service configuration question, ldapv3

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 18 23:00:22 CET 2003

--On Tuesday, November 18, 2003 1:26 PM -0600 jeff vier
<jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 11:53, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> 1) In the hosts.cfg file, it allows you to specify a check command to
>> I see no way to configure how *often* you want this command to be
>> executed.
>
> nagios is "smart" about it.  this is in the docs.

Define "smart".  If any service on the host is down, the host itself
appears to be marked down.  This is not an accurate assessment of the
problem.  Example: I turned off the ldap service on an ldap system.  The
service detail view correctly shows that the service is down.  The host
detail view incorrectly says the host is down.  The host itself is fine.

>> 2) In the service.cfg file, it seems I have to define the same service
>
> either use the hostgroup_name, or a comma separated list of hosts.

This is an undocumented feature of the service function then?

>From the docs:
host_name: This directive is used to specify the short name of the host
that the service "runs" on or is associated with.

There is no hostgroup_name directive listed, nor does it say that you can
comma separate this list.

>> 3) Will the check_ldap command be updated to allow Ldap v3 binds?  The
>
> not my area :)

Okay. :)

--Quanah

--