Load average

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Tue Nov 18 16:09:42 CET 2003

The load average is the average number of running or waiting to be run processes at 1, 5, and 15 minutes. That's very simplistic and a google search or a search of this list even will provide more information. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=load+average should get you started.

Whether or not it's ok is very machine specific and a matter of your personal preference. I've seen machines with load averages >300 that were perfectly fine. I've also seen machines totally unusable at 4. If the machine is responsive and performing the tasks it was built for in a timely manner then it's likely OK. I would expect that in a perfect world, the load average should be at or less than the number of processors in the box. That would indicate that for most of the time, the CPU(s) was fully utilized with nothing waiting.

--
Marc