How to make Nagios play nice with MySQL?

David R. Guntner Dguntner at doit.nv.gov
Mon Nov 17 02:23:51 CET 2003

Running Nagios 1.1 on a SuSE 8.2 system.  Compiled it with MySQL support.

Something that I've noticed is that if MySQL goes down for some reason, even for a second (say, a /etc/init.d/mysql restart (or even "reload")), then Nagios starts duming its information to files in the /var/lib/mysql directory.  For example:

# ls -la /var/lib/mysql
total 411891
drwxr-xr-x    5 mysql    daemon        504 Nov 16 17:10 .
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root          600 Nov 16 00:17 ..
drwx------    2 mysql    root          528 Nov  3 23:23 mysql
srwxrwxrwx    1 mysql    daemon          0 Nov 16 17:10 mysql.sock
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    root          103 Nov 16 17:10 mysqld.log
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    root          414 Nov  3 23:23 mysqld.log-20031105.gz
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    root          376 Nov  6 20:38 mysqld.log-20031107.gz
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    root          432 Nov 11 22:49 mysqld.log-20031112.gz
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    root          556 Nov 15 23:50 mysqld.log-20031116.gz
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    daemon          4 Nov 16 17:10 mysqld.pid
drwx------    2 mysql    daemon       4152 Nov 15 17:51 nagios
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    daemon   420175361 Nov 16 17:08 nagios-bin.001
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    daemon     890789 Nov 16 17:10 nagios-bin.002
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    daemon     260907 Nov 16 17:11 nagios-bin.003
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    daemon         17 Nov 16 17:10 nagios-bin.index
drwx------    2 mysql    root           48 Nov  3 23:23 test

Notice the nagios-bin.* files in there.  The .index file simply contains the names of those other three files.  If I were to restart MySQL again, I'd end up with .004, and the .index file would reflect that as well.

Is there some way to get Nagios to NOT do this?  Even though MySQL is back up, once it starts writing to files, it keeps doing so until I shut down the Nagios process and restart it.  Needless to say, since logrotate runs every night and cycles the MySQL logs (and restarts the process when it's done), I come back every morning to find that we've got the Really Big Nagios File(s) sitting in the /var/lib/mysql directory again.  So, is there some way to make Nagios deal with a MySQL restart in a more "friendly" way?

Any help would be apprecaited.

          --Dave