Let me introduce myself

gkwiatko gkwiatko at interia.pl
Sat Nov 15 21:46:20 CET 2003

Hallo to everyone! My name is Greg. I'm new here.

Yesterday I installed and configured Nagios + Nagat + NRPE. I have
created installation script, you can put on your linux box and install
NRPE with plugins. All you need is to put 2 files I enclosed to
directory install-nrpe together with directory bin/ contaning nrpe
binary and directory libexec/ containing plugins. Tar and gunzip
install-nrpe, put to each host and run "install.sh --install" (plus
optional path, user or group).

I also found two problems with check_oracle plugin.
First is that if you have standard comments in the top of /etc/oratab,
script is not able to grab ORACLE_HOME. You have to simply delete
comments and leave at least *:<ORACLE_HOME>:N uncommented.
The other problem occurs when you want to check dummy login, cache or
tablespace using check_oracle plugin. If you don't want to rely on
tnsnames.ora but only on SID, script doesn't work (tested with Oracle
9i). You have define in the script ORACLE_SID=<SID from argument> and
change all "sqlplus user/password at db" to "sqlplus user/password". I can
send you changed plugin but I don't know if it is allowed by author.

There is also one thing I want to ask you. I configured some hosts
without services. I don't need to define services because I just need to
check if host is alive and that's it. Nagios warns me that some hosts
have no services but starts. The problem is, that although I added
check_command and have checks_enabled=1 Nagios doesn't execute commands.
In web interface I have PENDING status all the time. My example host
entry looks like this:

define host {
host_name                      hallprinter
alias                          Terra hall printer
address                        192.168.1.5
use                            generic-host-template
max_check_attempts             10
notification_interval          480
notification_period            workhours
check_command                  check-host-alive
parents                        terranet-gateway
}

define host {
name                           generic-host-template
register                       0
notifications_enabled          1
checks_enabled                 1
event_handler_enabled          1