Byzantine configs? Or am I doing it wrong?

Jeremy Madea J.Madea at mdl.com
Sat Nov 15 00:10:13 CET 2003

We have eight backup servers in several different locations. We've got
multiple people responsible for their care and feeding.  We want to check
pings to all of these servers and ssh access to some of them. Some of the
servers are more critical than others and -one- guy gets paged if these
aren't pingable.

So, I add all this to Nagios...

* A contact for each back admin including a separate pager contact for the
guy who gets pages.
* A contact group that includes the backup admins.
* A separate contact group that only includes the pager contact.
* Host entries for each of the 8 servers.
* A hostgroup so that the backup-admins can see their servers grouped nicely
together in the web interface.
* A ping service containing the hosts that we don't want to send pages for.
* A ping service containing the hosts that we do want to send page for.
* An ssh service containing the hosts that we need to check ssh on.

Am I making it harder than it needs to be?

-j

--
Jeremy Madea