check_nt memuse - can I separate RAM from swap

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Fri Nov 14 17:22:10 CET 2003

> From: Michal.Mazurek at avon.com [mailto:Michal.Mazurek at avon.com]
>
> When I use check_nt to see the memory usage I get the overall
> value of RAM and swap. This isn't really helpfull because
> there is no way that the system can use entire swap -
> especially when there's about 500MB dynamically assigned. Is
> there a way to configure nagios or the NT 4.0 server to see
> RAM and swap info separatly?

NSClient is dependent on the available Windows performance
counters. The normal ones are a rather odd bunch, none of
which seem to be able to answer the simple question "how
much physical memory is being used?".

You can ask "how much physical memory is left?" by using

 -v COUNTER -l "\\Memory\\Available Mbytes"

in your check_nt command. You can also use "Available
Bytes" and "Available Kbytes".

The explanation of the counter is ... "Available MBytes is the
amount of physical memory available to processes running on the
computer, in Megabytes (Bytes / 1,048,576).  It is calculated
by summing space on the Zeroed, Free, and Stand by memory
lists.  Free memory is ready for use; Zeroed memory are pages
of memory filled with zeros to prevent later processes from
seeing data used by a previous process. Standby memory is
memory removed from a process' working set (its physical
memory) on route to disk, but is still available to be
recalled.  This counter displays the last observed value
only; it is not an average."

Phil