Follow up to the missing case 9 of Ethan's snmpd example

Drew Cullis drew.cullis at gwl.com
Thu Nov 6 00:22:32 CET 2003

Hello;
 I am writing to follow up  on a reply by Stanley Hopcroft to my post a
few weeks ago on Oct. 15. We lost email and I could not reply directly.

 Stanley, thanks for the great reply. You gave me a good deal of great
information which helped me to understand snmp traps a little more. I
have a few more questions to ask if I may.

 Can you tell me where the Oid (in your case snTrapL4RealServerUp) in
your snmptapd.conf file comes from? Is it a line from the MIB itself?
I've tried several different variations from what I think is the
equivalent part of the MIB I am using for my StorageTek D280's and get
an error when I restart the snmptrapd process (see below). I've also
included a part of the MIB I got this particular bit from.
 I've even tried using the numerical OID and that didn't work either.

#
 traphandle FOUNDRY-SN-TRAP-MIB::snTrapL4RealServerUp
/usr/local/netsaint/libexec/eventhandlers/handle-foundry-traps 21

Nov  5 15:49:59 is-devbert snmptrapd[27883]: Starting snmptrapd 4.2.5
Nov  5 15:49:59 is-devbert snmptrapd: /etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf: line 37:
Error: Bad trap OID in traphandle directive: SM7_10.MIB::infoEntry

 }
        deviceHostIP OBJECT-TYPE
                SYNTAX IpAddress
                ACCESS read-only
                STATUS mandatory
                DESCRIPTION
                        "Address of the network-attached device or
device host."
                ::= { infoEntry 1 }

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
 Thanks.....
--

Drew Cullis
ITS UNIX Sys Admin