Network Traffic plugin questions

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Mon Nov 3 10:21:50 CET 2003

You are correct.  You'll see a sharp spike when you reboot, or when the
counter gets reset.  Think of an odometer: it never runs backwards, so if
you have less miles than the last time you checked it , someone must have
added 100,000 miles to your car, causing the odometer to roll over to
00,000.  At least, that's what RRDtool thinks must have happened when a
counter drops in value instead of going up.

However, the question you are asking has to deal with RRDtool, and not so
much APAN or Nagios.

See this message in RRDtool's mailing list for the solution.
http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users/msg06906.html

Here's the relevant part:
use DERIVE and a minimum value setting of 0

"Mark Douglas" <mark at 9thlevel.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.53.0311012051550.919 at kit.kootenay.com...
> Hi,
>
> I just got the network traffic plugin/addon from the nagios extras page
> installed and working, and so far I like what I see. However, I have a
concern -
> I'm looking to track my total bandwidth usage from month to month, and
from what
> I can tell, this plugin is just doing basic reads of the interface
counters
> through SNMP. So, I expect that when I reboot my system, those counters
are
> going to get reset, and my total bandwidth usage will get reset as well.
Can
> anyone confirm/deny this for me? If it does get reset, can someone
recommend a
> method for me to track total bandwidth usage across reboots?
>
> Secondly, a simpler question - this plugin generates .cgi's for viewing
the RRD
> tool graphs. What's the best way to incorporate this cgi into the nagios
> framework? Is there a page that I should create links to these cgi's from?
Or am