Notifying on a service when host is unreachable?

Jeff Smith doc at neonova.net
Fri May 30 23:26:59 CEST 2003

Right... when the intermediate link goes down I would like it to tell me
that the intermediate link (the service bound to the host) went down not
just that the host itself is unreachable.  Which is how it happens now.
  Here's a mockup of my scenario:

define host{
         use                     net_host

         host_name               Foo_Router_Edge
         alias                   Foo Router Edge Type:2611
         address                 10.1.1.1
	notification_options    d,u,r
         }

define service{
         use                     net_service

         host_name               Foo_Router_Edge
         service_description     Bar T-1 Id:123456 Cn:800-555-1212
Ip:10.2.2.2 In:Serial0/0
         check_command           check_ping_svc!10.2.2.2
         notification_options    w,u,c,r
         }

when the service goes down nagios goes and checks the host.  Then it
notifies that the host is unreachable but never notifies me that the
service bound to the host is down.  What I'm looking for is a way to
tell Nagios to not only tell me the host is unreachable but also tell me
that the service bound to it is also critical.

The only Notification I get is:

PROBLEM Foo Router Edge Type:2611 DOWN 05-30-2003 15:22:00

When what I want to be notified on is the above plus:

PROBLEM Bar T-1 Id:123456 Cn:800-555-1212 Ip:10.2.2.2 In:Serial0/0
CRITICAL 05-30-2003 15:22:00

Thats basically what I'm after.

Thanks,
Jeff