Perl subroutine plug-in

Jan van den Berg jan at e-commercepark.com
Fri May 30 20:06:23 CEST 2003

Hi there,

I don't if this is the right place here, but I have a question about a
plug-in I'm developing.

See the following Perl sub-routine

sub get_alert

        {

        local @ARGV = '/var/log/alert';

        my @last8;

        while (<>) {

                push @last8, $_;

                shift @last8 while @last8 > 8;

                        }

                        my $line = $last8[-6];

                        my $line =~ y/[,'"()<>]:;0123456789*//d;

                        print $line;

                        #print "test";

        }

So what this does is, get the 8 before last line from a log file, strips
this line from meta-characters and print out a clean line of text. When
I run this command-line: no problem. However Nagios says there is no
output! But when I uncomment the print "test"; it prints this out nicely
in Nagios... so the subroutine is okay, and the print statement is okay.

 (I also tried using quotes around "$line" but that didn't work).

So what am I doing wrong here?

Please help.

Jan van den Berg