Notifying on a service when host is unreachable?

Jeff Smith doc at neonova.net
Fri May 30 17:29:12 CEST 2003

At my site we monitor a lot of network links.  Currently these are
defined as services on the host router they connect to.  This causes a
problem when the link drops and the host becomes unreachable.  The way
it is currently setup all the contact information for the circuit is in
the service definition such that when it pages the oncall person will
have all the information neccessary to contact the proper provider.
However, since they are defined as services (which I believe they should
be) when the host goes unreachable because the link went down the only
notification sent is for the host.  Is there a way to force the service
notification to be sent as well?  If not, the only other solution, that
I can think of, is to define these as hosts instead of services which
I'd rather not be forced to do.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
--
Jeffrey Smith