qpage notifications in log, but never sent

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed May 28 23:04:22 CEST 2003

Hey folks,

	I've recently seen a very preplexing (and dangerous)
problem creeping up on my Nagios machines.

	I use qpage to deliver alphapages via TAP/IXO, and until
recently (in the last few weeks, I've seen more and more oddities)
it's been working flawlessly.

	However, I'm now at a point where Nagios will pretend it
is submitting a page, but the page is never placed in the qpage
queue for delivery.  Here is an example from the syslog, sorry
about the linewrap:

May 28 14:46:52 host nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION: benny;host;/var;OK;qpage-alert;DISK OK - [85413 kB (35%) free on /dev/sd0d]

	And here is the same entry in the nagios.log:

[1054151212] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: benny;host;/var;OK;qpage-alert;DISK OK - [85413 kB (35%) free on /dev/sd0d]

	Obviously, Nagios thinks it did The Right Thing(tm).  But,
checking the daemon log (which qpage logs to), nothing is submitted.
I also manually checked the qpage queue - nothing.  And here is the
really scary thing - it's happening on two different machines, using
two different TAP/IXO numbers, sharing _nothing_ in common but the
Nagios and qpage version numbers.

Vital stats:

Nagios server OS: OpenBSD 3.1-STABLE, OpenBSD 3.3-STABLE
Nagios server: Plenty of CPU, disk, RAM, no evidence of resource
               exhaustion, anything
Qpage version: 3.3
Nagios version: 1.0
Plugins version: 1.3.0

qpage-alert definition from misccommands.cfg:

# 'qpage-alert' command definition
define command{
        command_name    qpage-alert
        command_line    /usr/local/bin/qpage -P $CONTACTNAME$ -f "AMWNAGIOS " $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ $OUTPUT$
        }

	Sending a page manually as the nagios user using the exact same
format as above _does_ work.  In fact, I've tried many different methods
of using qpage to send a page, and all of them work.  It's just the
pages that Nagios tries to (and thinks it did) send don't ever reach the
qpage queue.

	I'm boggled over this one...  I'm probably going to rebuild
Nagios with higher DEBUG options and see what happens - any recommendations
on which debug level to try?  This is critical for me to fix - not being
alerted to problems in my environment is a Not Good Thing(tm).  ;)

Thanks much!

Benny