PLEASE don't use HTML mail. Can we block it?

Wed May 28 01:51:00 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter on a matter of some interest
to me and say,

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:09:37PM -0500, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> Which of course would nail hand-cobbled comments which use
> < ... >.  Such as the ones that Mr Hopcroft uses.

Quite right. Prefixing paragraphs by tags such as

 <rant>
 <off_topic>
 <X-fave-rave>

is reasonably common.

In any case, there are _far_ better ways to strip multi-part mail with
HTML parts than the one proposed (perl -pe 's/<.*?>//gm').

(eg the one Randell Schwartz published in his column in SysAdmin mag in
the last few years.)

> If it bothers you so much, why don't you just add a mail filter
> to your MTA or MUA?

Right on.

Although from my point of view, regime change on the part of writers
repudiating and renouncing sloppy expression and poor presentation is
the means I favour.

As others have said there are _many_ arguments against HTML including

 . reducing the likelihood of replies from those who find the cost of
replying - editing mailcap or saving and firing up a browser - to HTML
too expensive (HTML mail doesn't get read by me, unless I know the
author has a history of saying useful things)

. wasting bandwidth and _costing_ the reader more to open. Not everyone
has cheap broadband.

. search engines (such as gmane) may simply drop HTML letters. Why
should they pay to convert it ?

People must remember that a list is a society. Replies and Problem
reports can be a blessing or a curse, to those who read the
'transactions' later with the same problem or question.

One not only has to have something to say but to make sure that it is
readable.

Put another way, once the oustanding developers and contributors start
using HTML mail, I will review my preferences.

> jc

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.