What services for what hosts ?

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Tue May 27 16:59:58 CEST 2003

This seems like an odd question. I suggest you examine each host you want to monitor and determine what you feel is a vital service on each and monitor those. The question below is way too vague and is very much like asking someone else to do your homework for you. In any event, the answers you get may not apply to you. For example, for monitoring a file server, what you monitor is going to greatly depend on how the files are being served. Is it SMB? NFS? HTTP? TFTP? FTP? Same for database servers. Is it Mysql, Postgres, MSSQL, Berkely DB, Oracle, Informix or some other database?

These are rhetorical questions, BTW.

--
Marc