nagios server performance

Maarten maartenh at phreaker.net
Mon May 26 20:21:26 CEST 2003

Hi,

I am currently experiencing some performance issues with my nagios
installation. I am running nagios on a dual xeon 2Ghz, 2,5gig internal
memory. I have currently 260 hosts and 1400 services added to nagios. The
services are scheduled to be checked with a 5 minute interval. The word
scheduled is not accidently chosen, since in practise, the server is only
succeeding in checking the hosts and services every 15-30 minutes. There is
a milelong queue with checks that are behind on schedule. The server itself
(CPU and Memory), is not even sweating a little bit. There are more then
enough resources to serve the requests...

I just changed nagios.cfg a bit today and am now allowing for 100 concurrent
checks, but still no luck :-( Is there anyone on the list that know some
tricks on reducing the delay and improving performance?

maarten

CPU0 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% system,  0.0% nice, 100.0% idle
CPU1 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% system,  0.0% nice, 100.0% idle
CPU2 states:  2.1% user,  1.0% system,  1.0% nice, 95.0% idle
CPU3 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% system,  0.1% nice, 99.0% idle
Mem:  2581768K av,  124044K used, 2457724K free,       0K shrd,   17920K
buff
Swap: 1024088K av,    9400K used, 1014688K free                   19288K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND

nagios.cfg
command_check_interval=-1
max_concurrent_checks=100 (should be enough for 30000 checks in 5 minutes)
service_reaper_frequency=10
sleep_time=1

service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=45