host check interval

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Fri May 23 03:01:31 CEST 2003

OK, here I go, replying to my own email..... ;^)

I think I can do an approximation of host_check_interval by using
escalations. I made the "normal" host notification method something
that doesn't email or page anybody. (I have it going to a log file,
instead of just throwing it away in /dev/null, I have a very cluttered
filesystem.  :)) I set the notification_interval to 1 minute. Then
with this escelation:

define hostescalation {
        host_name               *
        first_notification      3
        last_notification       3
        contact_groups          admins
        notification_interval   0
}

I get a single notification of the host being down after 3 minutes. If
the host comes up before 3 minutes, I don't hear about it (other than
in the log).

Maybe this is what escelations are supposed to be use for!  :)