check_by_ssh commands

Brad Dunn Brad at pretzel.com.au
Thu May 22 05:33:22 CEST 2003

Hi there, I'm running Nagios on a Debian Linux machine and am just started
to setup some checks using the "check_by_ssh" and have run into a bit of  a
problem. to make things easier I've got HOSTA and HOSTB. I've setup all the
SSH public keys etc so that HOSTA (the nagios server) Can login to HOSTB
without the password and only using the public keys etc . In this case a
check_disk over check_by_ssh. It logs in no worries.

This is how it works when I just try to SSH from HOSTA to HOSTB
debian:~# ssh -l nagios HOSTB
It then displays me with the MOTD

however my problem arrises when I try to either run the command manually
from the libexec directory.
./check_by_ssh -H HOSTB -C './check_disk -w 30% -c 10% -p /
it just sits at a prompt like so

Now I'm assuming now that I think about it, the reason its probably not
working, is because when I try running it manually, I'm not specifying the
user nagios on my remote machine, so the check_ssh its trying to ssh as root
and thus getting prompted for the password. How exactly do I do a check_ssh
and specify the user at the same time?

also I noticed that within nagios itself, if the checks are all just
running, this particular check displays
Check Disk SSH   WARNING22-05-2003 18:41:340d 0h 38m 59s4/4Permission
denied, please try again.

This is my checkcommands.cfg

# 'check_disk_ssh' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_disk_ssh
         command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
'./check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p /'
         }

And this is my services.cfg
# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       HOSTB
        service_description             Check Disk SSH
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  linux-admins
        notification_interval           960
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_disk_ssh!75%!85%
        }

Thanks

-Brad