nagios scalability calculations?

Dean Bishop dbishop at ehvert.com
Wed May 21 22:41:17 CEST 2003

Good morning,

	I just thought I would drop in my 2 cents.

	I believe that trying to create a single equation to calculate the
time it takes for a Nagios server to scan any number of services would be
next to impossible.  There are just so many variables.

-What sort of network architecture are you dealing with, and how many.
	Consider a network with a mix of 100 and 1000 Mbps links and servers
both on the local network, across a campus, or across a WAN link.  How many
hops from Nagios to service?  Is the latency fairly static?

-What sort of devices are you passing through and what is the average
latency?  Actually, can you "calculate" accurately using averages?
	Do you have an old router?  A new switch?

-What sort of hardware are you running Nagios on?  It spawns checks so SMP
would be useful and so would a lot of memory along with some speedy disk
architecture (128M of cache anyone).  But how will that affect performance?

-What sort of hardware are you running the service on?  How long does it
take for the device to not only collect and formulate the requested data,
but how long to get the data out the eth jack?

-What sort of software are you checking?  How well does it multitask and how
hard is it being used?  If 1000 monkeys are performing 1000 queries, how
fast can it respond to the 1001th request from Nagios?  Can it capitize on
SMP?  Is it?

-What other thangs is the Nagios box doing?  What other services is it
checking?

I'm afraid that you might be left to do a bit of trial and error.  This may
turn out to be more time effective than trying to answer the above questions
accurately anyway.

Just my 2cents.
Keep the change,
dean