RFC Negative experience of flap detection with passive service checks (traps).

Tue May 20 12:42:53 CEST 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to report my unsatisfactory experience with Nagios 1.0 and
flap detection for passive service checks (produced by SNMP traps).

1 Flap detection does not seem to work in this case (for services that
are not checked periodically by Nag).

Enabling flap_detection on the service or dropping the global
high_flap_threshold (from 20% to 10%) does not change the behaviour:
each time a trap changes the state the contact group is notified; the
state change is notified (for flip-flop traps).

2 The service template files do not accept the flap_threshold values
(with or without a decimal point).

The config check rejects the service definition with the catch all error
(failed to add resource at line %d).

This seems to be a docco problem or a bug.

I realise that hoping to have flap detection in such a case may
be simply rediculous (because there never will be a service history to
compare the current rate of service changes with) but it would be very
helpful, at least to me, to do so.

Has anyone had any experience with trap handling and flap detection they
would like to share ?

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.