CGI Authentication

Alastair Battrick al at battrick.org
Mon May 19 22:50:19 CEST 2003

I'm having an authentication problem.

I've followed the instructions and it won't let me modify things via the web
interface. Users chris and al are superuser with access to everything.

When you go to the nagios admin area it asks for the user/pass and putting
either al or chris and the right password lets us in and gives "Logged in as
chris" (or "al"). We can monitor everything, but trying to schedule
downtime, modify the schedule queue etc, we get a "Sorry, but you are not
authorized to commit the specified command."

I cannot see where we are going wrong, can someone point me in the right
direction?

Some conf settings:

etc/cgi.cfg:
use_authentication=1
authorized_for_system_information=chris,al
authorized_for_configuration_information=chris,al
authorized_for_system_commands=chris,al
authorized_for_all_services=chris,al
authorized_for_all_hosts=chris,al
authorized_for_all_service_commands=al,chris
authorized_for_all_host_commands=al,chris

cgi-bin/.htaccess AND share/.htaccess:
AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
<limit GET>
require valid-user
</limit>

etc/htpasswd.users: