check_smtp returning critical error when everything is working fine.

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon May 19 08:24:58 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 00:02, Craig Marchant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed Version 1 of nagios. Everything went fine, great doc's.
>
> I'm having a small problem with the check_smtp plugin at the moment.
>
> When I view the website it is reporting that the SMTP service is
> critical. But it returns "SMTP OK - 0 second response".
>
> I'm using the latest versions of all the software, including the
> plugins.

I will grant that you are using the 'latest version' (I must confess
that others have posted to the list using those exact words, and been
wrong, but surely I need not worry about that)

But what does that mean? The latest relesed version from the CVS? The
latest modifications to CVS on the release brach? Or perhaps the CVS
HEAD?

If you type 'check_smtp --version' and report the result, I will know
the answer to these vexing questions. Then I cam ponder the answer to
your question directly, without the need to consider the intermediate
qusetions above.

If you were to provide the OS you are running, and the OS and MTA you
are checking, and I bet people on the list could really set down to
solving the problem. (If you are using a package, rather than your own
build, please mention that as well). If the MTA you are checking is
publiclic available, maybe you'd consider providing thhe addess for
investigation purposes.

Beyond that basic info, if we knew what your service and command
definitions looked like, we could even set out to reproduce the problem.
> Has anbody seen / know what might be causing it to play up with this
> one service.

This was a known problem in some of the beta releases of the plugins. It
is not known to me in 1.3.0 or CVS HEAD. But I'll galdly look, once I
know which version to check.

Have you tried running the test soley on the command line?

	check_smtp -H your.server.here -w 3 -c 5; echo $?

(Of course use your command/service settings, not mine)

--
Karl