heads-up: trap avalanche depletes swap and leads to killing Nag, Apache, named, ...

Fri May 16 11:43:43 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you very much for your letter and say,

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 09:33:57AM +0200, Tom DE BLENDE wrote:

> Was flap detection enabled for that passive service? Shouldn't flap
> detection prevent that notification flood?

I am very grateful for your helpful suggestion.

I have enabled the global config directive in nagios.cfg and await with
much interest the next occurrence.

<offtopic>

I have been writing some very unsafe and inefficient CGIs recently that
today subjected the Nag host to a 1-1.5X memory over-commit (3-400 MB
when RAM + swap == 512 MB).

Apart from the OS killing the apache child running the CGI, all was
well. It appears that the most dangerous thing is a large number of
processes rather than a few big ones

</offtopic>

Thanks for the heads up about this.

Nag is simply __stuffed__ with sophisticated innovations such as this
(and freshness checking).

Given that the docco suggests (in at least two places) that

'Before I go any futher, let me say that flapping detection has been a
little difficult to implement. How exactly does one determine what "too
frequently" means in regards to state changes for a particular host or
service?

When I first started looking into flap detection I tried to find some
information on how flapping could/should be detected. After I couldn't
find any, I decided to settle with what seemed to be a reasonable
solution. The methods by which Nagios detects service and host state
flapping are described below...'

this is a new innovation, how well does it work ?

> Kind regards,
> Tom

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft