$HOSTNAME$

Fri May 16 11:25:59 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and sauggest that your report
is consistent (as you say) with the macro not being replaced in the
command line handed to /bin/sh

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:21:13AM +0200, Fred Albrecht wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is this a bug?  I don't get the host associated with the service when I try to use $HOSTNAME$ as a macro when sending service notifications.  Instead I get my local shell environment variable $HOSTNAME.  In other words, if I run nagios on box X, monitoring a service A on box Z, then I get X as my $HOSTNAME$ instead of Z.  Should I be defining my commands differently perhaps?
>
> my notify-by-email command has changed to this:
> define command {
> command_name                   host-notify-by-email
> command_line                   /usr/local/nagios/libexec/host-notify-by-email.pl "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$" "$HOSTNAME$" "$HOSTSTATE$" "$HOSTADDRESS$" "$HOSTALIAS$" "$OUTPUT$" "$DATETIME$" | /bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
> }

You could try

. inserting a space between 'NAME$' and '!' (in case the Nag lexer is
looking for white space or end of string)

. if pain persists, then run up a Test Nag built with --enable-DEBUG4
and run it with check_dummy (reporting critical on a stripped
config). The interesting stuff will be visible when you run it in
foreground.

  This is a straightforward procedure. All you need do is

   . feed configure your options + debug + a new prefix (so it doesn't
     use your prod config

   . install it into the test (--prefix) path

   . strip your config and make it notify you often

   . run it in foreground (no -d)

  This should make the case plane for a Nag bug.

> where I wrote my own script to form my email (/usr/local/nagios/libexec/host-notify-by-email.pl).

(if /bin/sh can run it, it'll work).

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.