NBAR reporting

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed May 14 22:20:00 CEST 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Tom Welsh wrote:

> Is anyone using Nagios to report on NBAR ( Network based Application
> Recognition) and QoS stats from their routers? If so what are you using
> to query the routers? SNMP? I'd be interested in collating some info on
> this as I have a specific need for this info for some research I'm doing

I haven't done any...

but looking at the fact that the data is not easily available from snmp,
scripts to login and grab data from the routers may be the only way.

RANCID (shrubbery.net) has set of useful perl modules for logging into
Cisco and running commands and capturing the output.

The NBAR data dump on the screen look like fixed column size and so should
be easily parseable.

I had written some scripts similar to this for ATM bw monitoring when snmp
support for atm  was non-existent.

Since the numbers here are data rates - you might want to feed it into
rrd instead of Nagios directly.

--

-sg