Probs with notification from passive check

Ralf Mellis testrm at kisters.com
Wed May 14 17:03:52 CEST 2003

I'm using nag 1.0 (linux) with nrpe 1.8/2.03b (various os).
I have setup a passive check on my nagios host for a w2k test box.
The communication from the w2k box to the nagios host is done via ssh,
using plink from putty (0.52). I have changed the "citrix" wsh script
(which was attached to various mails here) to suit my needs.
Now: Changing the status of my service works fine, I can monitor this in
the nagios.log and in the web gui. Only notification is not (always)
successfull. From time to time I get a mail to the contact defined for
my test service, but mostly not (At this time I have not found out
exactly in which cases I get one and when not).

IMHO I have setup all definitions correctly, but nevertheless here they are:

1. Definition of my "passive-checks" template:

define service{
         name                            passive-checks
         active_checks_enabled           0
         passive_checks_enabled          1
         parallelize_check               1
         obsess_over_service             1
         check_freshness                 0
         notifications_enabled           1
         event_handler_enabled           1
         flap_detection_enabled          1
         process_perf_data               1
         retain_status_information       1
         retain_nonstatus_information    1
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    none
         check_command                   check-host-alive
         register                        0
         }

2. Definition of my "test service":

define service{
         use                             passive-checks
         service_description             Test WSH
         host_name                       w2kwks-rm
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           5
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  test-admins
         notification_interval           120
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            c,r,w,u
         }

3.  Definition of "test-admins":

define contactgroup{
         contactgroup_name       test-admins
         alias                   TestTheWest Administrators
         members                 RaMe
         }

4. Definition of contact "RaMe"

define contact{
         contact_name                    RaMe
         alias                           Nagios Admin #1
         service_notification_period     24x7
         host_notification_period        24x7
         service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
         host_notification_options       d,u,r
         service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
         host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
         email                           myemail at at.my.company
         pager                           notdefined at localhost.localdomain
         }

I have read the chapter "notifications" carefully and I think with the
filters set up in the above given way the contact "RaMe" has to be
informed by email about every changer in state regarding the "WSH"
service...

But this is in my theory...

--
Ralf Mellis