Statusmap errors

Jeff Mercer mercer at btitelecom.net
Tue May 13 15:39:53 CEST 2003

Leonard Miller wrote:
> Ok, I don't have that directory.  Using nagios-1.0 with
> nagios-plugins-1.3.0.

Woops, didn't mean to confuse. I made my own sub-directory structure under
/usr/local/nagios/etc to organize my configs. The "extended" directory isn't
created by default. It's not required.

> I looked at the cgi.cfg file and the XED section says that is
> for database support.

Woops! Again, more confusion, sorry.
There *is* a section for configuring extended information using a database
to provide the config info. But that is not required to do extended
information. It's just an alternate method.

Here's what I have in my cgi.cfg file:

xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/extended/hosts.cfg
xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/extended/routers.cfg
xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/extended/switches.cfg
xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/extended/services.cfg

Then each of those config files has the appropiate definitions for the
appropiate hosts, services, etc. It's important to make sure that the nagios
process can access these config files. So make sure the directories are
readable as well as the actual .cfg files. Even if the ownerships are
correct, if one of your directories has access set like this:

	drwxrw-r--    2 nagios   nagios       4096 May 10 00:09 extended

then when the CGI scripts try and read the config file they will probably
fail silently. The permissions should look like:

	drwxrwxr-x    2 nagios   nagios       4096 May 10 00:09 extended

Of course you don't have to make a sub-directory for the extended config
files. Or you can call it whatever you want. This is just an example.