Check service and host

Philippe Mounier mounier at enac.fr
Tue May 13 09:05:49 CEST 2003

I use nagios since some months.

But I don't understand something : on a machine I have check_host_alive
(ping) and check_dns, but no PING service
If DNS down and host DOWN, I have information state HOST DOWN.

When machine "re-works", service DNS is checking, it's don't work : normal,
it's always down.
But, ping from check_host_alive is not tested : state host is always DOWN
.... : not normal (or I don't understand ...)

If I add PING service (check_ping) for this host , It's working ...

Thanks for explication !!

Philippe