Checking an MSSQL

Ian Farr ianf at Oceanwide.com
Mon May 12 18:48:07 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I would like to check an MS SQL 2000 database, and was wanting to know if
there are any people out there doing this already.

I know I can check the NT service with NSClient, but I wanted to do
something a little more than that to make sure that the SQL service is
indeed accepting requests and processing them.

My idea was to have an ODBC connection from the nagios box to the MS SQL box
and process the following:

1 - read data from a table
2- write new data to a table
3 - read the new data from a table to make sure that it worked
4 - delete data from the table
5 - read the table again to make sure that the data is gone.

any ideas if something like this exists before I go down the road of trying
to create my own script with unix ODBC and all that???

Thanks for the help..
Ian Farr
Director of Network Infrastructure
Oceanwide.com