Nagios & Remedy?

Sat May 10 11:39:46 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your valuable letter - many people look at
Nag and say (ignorantly), "Nice product. Shame it can't interwork with
product X".

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:47:30PM -0700, Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Greetings!
> 	I know of a place that has a large Big Brother installation, but I
> have been less than satisfied with its implementation. Nagios would be a
> better choice, but.. they have BB set to create tickets in the Remedy
> Action Request System and send pages. I know Nagios can send pages, but
> how about creating trouble tickets?

Nag can do anything that /bin/sh can do. For notifications it happens to
run /usr/bin/mail however, if you have an executable that does the right
things Nag will run it for you (this is the basis for event
handlers. The ones here run some Perl to update a mySQL availability
database [with a down interval]).

> 	Does anybody have Nagios creating trouble tickets at all? If so,
> how do you do it?

If yoy can post either

1 A Remedy _non-binary_ client (preferably in some fairly portable
language such as /bin/sh or Perl or C source)

 or

2 What BB does to stuff a ticket into Remedy

 or

3 What Remedy accepts (the format and destination, and the protocol) to
add a trouble ticket

then someone will have Nag doing it.

Probably the worst case is that in the way of commercial products,
Remedy supplies a few binary trouble ticket clients built for famous
name products (since this is a family program, the names have been
deleted, but you know who).

These would doubtless require Remedy libraries also and therefore be
limited to running on those name products.

In this case, you would install the Remedy client on the big name of
your choice (and bank account) and have Nag run it by ssh.

Not much help, but you should take heart.

> 	Thanks!
>
> -Jonathan

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft