Host service viewing permissions via authentication

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri May 9 18:27:00 CEST 2003

If you check the archives (within the past month or two), you may notice I replied to a similar query.  If you dig back much further, you may notice I myself posted a similar query.

Here's what I've experienced:

- create DBA contact group
- add DBA contact group to DBA-relevant service definitions
- login as DBA
- see only services defined for the DBAs (as expected)
- see absolutely *no* hosts for the services which the DBAs are interested in

And that was iterating through all the menu options.  Quite a few of the menus resulted in the classic, "It appears you do not have permission...".

I can't quite recall what change I then experimented with, but it was dramatic.  As you've observed, suddenly the DBAs could see not just the host, but *all* the services on that host, not just the ones they're responsible for.  And yes, that included being able to acknowledge services that they shouldn't have been able to touch, acknowledge the host itself, schedule downtime for a service they're not responsible for, schedule downtime for the host itself....  In the end, I decided to give them the truncated view of the world.

I have yet to see a solution to this, but it's hardly a show-stopper.  In my world, it's mainly a quibble; I'd rather not distract Ethan and company away from more interesting/more productive activities.  :)

jc