Rewriting nsclient? (was NSClient 1.0.8.0 Installation Problem)

Darren Harrison darrenh at gallagher.co.nz
Thu May 8 22:50:53 CEST 2003

Thanks Roy,
That was quite a humourous comment you made that you think "Pascal is a
dead language".

I've heard this comment before about other programming languages like Perl,
LabVIEW, Pascal, Cobol ... the list goes on.
And really the comment only shows how unaware the person is of the often
thriving developer communities.
If you head to Borland.com you might find that "Pascal" (in the form of
Delphi of course) is going really well, has been ported to Linux (as the
ultimate Linux programming IDE called Kylix), and is heading toward .Net.
(that's a full stop - they didn't change the name again... ;-)
And on Kylix and Delphi, Borland have created "Personal Editions" which you
can download for free and use to create GPL programmes - so you don't have
to buy anything and you still get one of (if not the) best IDE's around (on
top of one of the best languages - IMHO).
The last thing kind of isn't much to do with Delphi, but shows how good the
Borland guys are.... The framework that Delphi/C++ Builder was originally
built on is called VCL. This recently changed to CLX and is an awesome
framework for building programmes. In a completely uninformed opinion, but
it looks to me like Microsoft's .Net looks a lot like CLX. I heard they
bought one of the VCL people and I wouldn't be surprised if they "copied"
the best of CLX. So the Borland ideas & products don't seem to be
disappearing in a hurry.

Darren.

----- Forwarded by Darren Harrison/GGL on 09/05/2003 08:25 -----

> Message: 3
> From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net>
<snip>
> My point exactly. I don't want to buy any software to change the product!
<snip>
> Still:
> Pascal is a dead language. It'll be harder and harder to find people
to=20
> maintain the source. This piece of software will probably be rewritten pr
=
> etty=20
> soon anyway, so why not now?
>
> roy
>
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
> ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/
> Tel: +47 9801 3356
>
> Computers are like air conditioners.
> They stop working when you open Windows.

This e-mail is confidential and may contain information subject to legal
privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient please advise us of our
error by return e-mail then delete this e-mail and any attached files.
You may not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way.

The views expressed in this e-mail may not be those of Gallagher Group
Ltd or subsidiary companies thereof.