Rewriting nsclient? (was NSClient 1.0.8.0 Installation Problem)

Michael.Wirtgen at miwi-dv.com Michael.Wirtgen at miwi-dv.com
Fri May 9 03:15:59 CEST 2003

All,

I'm currently working to get nrpe "ported" to run on windows, so I take a
great interest in this.

Please allow some thoughts & questions...

- If you consider rewriting nsclient to add nrpe functionality, what do you
consider the benefit?
May be I'm missing something, but to me it looks like a decision between
monolithic vs. modular design. Whatever you choose may be ok, but I see no
reason in mixing this?
If you go with the current nsclient design, I'd suggest, ALL checks should
be done by the agent. However, this would make this a very complex beast,
and it may be difficult to add new checks. If you go with plugins, why not
put everything into a plugin? Is there anything that would be impossible to
implement as a plugin? (Thinking of it, registering callbacks on eventlog or
filesystem events pops to my mind ...)

- On choosing a development language, perl sounds great in terms of porting,
but I think for windows, the only option for any agent is to run as a
service. On my boxes I usually prefer NOT to resort to any wrappers to
achieve this. For everything else, I guess the answer is: Whatever gets the
job done....

- Tim, I can't resist to ask this ;-)
>>Hell will freeze over before I buy a product from MS
What do you actually RUN nsclient on?

cheers
MiWi