Plugin Error in checkcommands.cfg

Thu May 8 04:01:00 CEST 2003

Dear Sir.

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:59:02PM -0000, kleysonr wrote:

> In the line command the script work, but in checkcommands.cfg nagios the message "Unable to resolve destination address '-H' " an error appears when call Net::SNMP-session. Please, what the problem?
>
> check_cisco -H 10.x.x.x -c public -i Serial1/1.1
>

> #!/usr/bin/perl -w

  .. snip nice oconcise readable Perl

both of us (you and I) can't see any problems with your programs option
processing.

Perhaps the mistake is in the checkcommands.cfg or services.cfg.

checkcommands.cfg defines the CLI of the program: path + switches +
option macros. It also defines a short name that is used in
services.cfg.

services.cfg defines what checks are applied to a host and implicity
defines the macro values $HOSTNAME$ $ARG1$ $ARG2$ etc used by Nagios in
the merge of the checkcommands.cfg to get the actual program to pass to
/bin/sh.

Your checkcommand.cfg should have a entry like

define command{
        command_name    check_cisco
        command_line    $USER1$/check_cisco -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
-i $ARG2$
        }

and a services.cfg like

define service{

        host_name                       my_beautiful_router
        service_description             How are the interfaces today
        contact_groups                  network-admins
        check_command                   check_cisco!public!Serial1/1.1
        }

# /bin/sh may complain about / and .
# that is if they are not filtered by Nag ..

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.