seem to have lost nagios.cmd

Thu May 8 00:44:07 CEST 2003

Dear Madam,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:16:13PM -0500, Irene Sakellarakis wrote:
> At some point during my fumblin configurations today, I appear to have
> lost the ../var/rw/nagios.cmd file. Everything worked just fine until I
> started making some changes to cgi.cfg and nagios.cfg. I enabled and
> disabled some commands, but I didn't expect that any changes in those
> files would cause the command file to go away.

That I would not expect the 'named pipe' to go away after configuration
changes. However, I don't really know whether it has been vanishing and
reappearing (electron like) while I have been looking elsewhere.

This extract from base/utils.c appears relevant

utils.c-
utils.c-        /* create the external command file as a named pipe
(FIFO) */
utils.c:        if((result=mkfifo(command_file,S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR |
S_IRGRP | S_IWGRP))!=0){
utils.c-
utils.c-                snprintf(buffer,sizeof(buffer)-1,"Error: Could
not create external command file '%s' as named pipe: (%d) -> %s.  If
this file already exists and you are sure that another copy of Nagios is
not running, you should delete this
file.\n",command_file,errno,strerror(errno));
utils.c-                buffer[sizeof(buffer)-1]='\x0';
utils.c-
write_to_logs_and_console(buffer,NSLOG_RUNTIME_ERROR,TRUE);
tsitc>

So, it looks like

1 Nag creates the fifo for you

2 If it is already there, Nag cannot create the fifo until you delete
it.

eg

tsitc# cd /usr/local/nagios/var/
tsitc# cd rw/
tsitc# ll nagios.cmd
prw-rw----  1 nagios  nagiocmd  0 May  7 20:16 nagios.cmd

tsitc# ps -auxw | grep nagios | head -2
nagios 51997  0.0  4.4 18628 11412  ??  Ss   Tue11PM  11:08.97
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
anwsmh 49283  0.0  0.2   900  404  p0  I+    8:21AM   0:00.00 tail -f
nagios.log
tsitc# killall nagios
tsitc# ll

# It's gone.

tsitc# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios.sh start
tsitc#

# Its' back

tsitc# ll
total 0
prw-rw----  1 nagios  nagiocmd  0 May  8 08:41 nagios.cmd
tsitc#

> Can I recreate this? What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Irene

If the file is not there after restarting Nag, you have a cofig problem
because Nag refuses to start.

Suggest <path_to_nag>/nagios -v <path_to_nag>/etc/nagios.cfg

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.