check_snmp timeout

Francesc Guasch frankie at etsetb.upc.es
Wed May 7 09:20:46 CEST 2003

Hi. I'm checking the net usage of a router using apan
with nagios. I found that sometimes the check times
out and the -t parameter of the check_snmp plugin
isn't working.

I changed snmp.sh source of apan, so there is a -t
for check_snmp:

VALUE=`$PLUGINSDIR/check_snmp -t 60 -H $HOST -C $COMM -o $OID`

But it did the same, so I tried from the command line:

$ time /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp -H ROUTER -C public
    -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.9 -t 20
SNMP problem - No data recieved from host
CMD: /usr/bin/snmpget -m ALL -v 1 -c public ROUTER:161
     .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.9
real    0m6.141s

As you can see, it gives up quite soon.

I fixed it a little adding a second check of snmp in the
snmp.sh file:

This is:

redhat-release-7.3-1
nagios-1.0-1