And/Or Logic and Event Handlers

Sun May 4 13:24:33 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 10:02:10PM +1200, Jamie Baddeley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here's one that I don't think has been asked before.
>
> When I have a critical service/host down event on Box A *and* Box B, I'd like
> to make an event handler that does "something" to Box C.
>
> Event Handlers are no problem. It's the logic required to trigger the handler
> that's not immediately obvious.
>
> ..Or is it a tricky combination of check_cluster and event handlers?
>
> peace.
>
> jamie

some obvious and probablly unhelpful suggestions are

1 check_a_and_b ^ have your event handler respond to a failure of this
check by 'doing something' to box c

(ie bundle the check of a and b [scheduled on either] into a new check)

2 Have your event handler keep state (eg here a global event handler
updates an mySQL database for PHB reporting needs [using the Win OBDC
drivers so they can import into MS spreadsheets etc] and respond to a B
down by checking if A is already down.

3 Your event handler can do _anything_: have it check A (or B) when
either goes down. No need to retry, simply fire off the check (being
prepared to time it out) and act accordingly.

Yours sincerely.
Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.