Single check script to monitor multiple processes

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Sat May 3 12:48:22 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:06, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> My bad.  I seem to recall someone has written a variation on the check_by_ssh plugin which kinda sorta does what you're looking for (without the verbose output).  Details escape me.

check_by_ssh in the core allows you to specify multiple check on the
remote server. If more than one check is called, it returns them as
passive check, so they appear as multiple services, even though only one
connection to the remote machine has been made.

in the general case, we try to keep the size and complxity of the
plugins somewhat limited so that it's not too inefficent to start up all
the new processes required by the running the checks individually.

>From a development point of view the modularity gained has seemed worth
the cost of the extra process creation, at least in all but the largest
scale deployments.

Off-hand, I see no other particularly strong reasons for grouping the
functionality at the development level. Do you?

And if you do, could that need be resolved with a generic aggrgator that
allows poeple to lump unit plugins to their taste instead of creating
one bloated plugin that has 20 capabilities of which only 2 might be
used on a given call?

--
Karl