Passive problems

Dan Rich drich at employees.org
Fri May 2 22:04:24 CEST 2003

I am trying to monitor a system farm and want to use passive process checks to
keep from running several hundred checks every few minutes.  However, since I
can run one command that will give me most of the data I want to check about
the farm, I am trying to run that command and send passive notices to Nagios.

The problem is, Nagios seems to accept some of my notifications and then the
named pipe stops taking input.  I've tried opening and closing the pipe once
for each message, writing all the messages to a single open pipe, and now
reopening the pipe every "n" messages, all with no success.  Here is my
current code:

   if (($cmdlines % 40) == 0) {
    close(CMDFILE);
    sleep 1;
    open(CMDFILE,"> $command_file") || die "cannot open command file: $!";
  }
  $cmdlines++;
  printf CMDFILE "[%d] PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;%s;LSF;%d;%s\n",
                  time, $hostname, $ERRORS{$state}, $output;

It seems to work for around 140 writes if I reopen the pipe every 10, 190 if I
reopen every 20, 230 if I reopen every 50, 240 if I reopen every 80, 290 if I
reopen every 100, etc. and then dies.  Too add to the oddness, I don't see
anything in my nagios.log file for these passive results, although another
nagios instance on the same server with an almost identical configuration
shows passive results in its log file.

Since I have nearly 750 machines to monitor this is not a good thing.

Does anyone know of a workaround or solution for this?

--
Dan Rich <drich at employees.org> |   http://www.employees.org/~drich/